Filed under: 11222, Greenpoint, Greenpoint Brooklyn, Greenpoint Magic, Street Art, Stuff That Makes Miss Heather Happy
Taken March 24, 2014.
Filed under: 11222, Greenpoint, Greenpoint Brooklyn, Greenpoint Magic, Urban Artifact
There appears to have been a mishap on Manhattan Avenue.
Glass of (queso) half empty: salsa con queso gone to waste brings a tear to yours truly’s eye.
Glass half full: Old Krupnik is a highly provocative accompaniment to this street feast. The presence of a towel suggests some attempt at a “clean up”. One has to appreciate this kind gestures given they are quite rare nowadays.
Meanwhile on Lorimer Street…
Street meat tartar…
accompanied by pasta.
Filed under: 11222, Asshole, Criminal Activity, Greenpoint, Greenpoint Brooklyn, Greenpoint Magic, Stuff The Makes Heather Sad
March 15, 2014
March 20, 2014
As you can see, gentle readers, something has come to pass in the last few days. Follows are a few thoughts:
- This is one of my favorite landmarks in Greenpoint. In fact one of my all time favorite photos I have ever taken is of this water tower.
- This pisses me off. Big time.
- I suspect a number of the folks reading this list agree with the previous two points.
- Some may find prodigal penises (penii?) hanging from telephone lines offensive. I respect their opinion. However, let’s face facts: a. it does not entail destruction of property b. it is not taking a crap on someone else’s culture.
- I do hope an effort will be made to restore this flag to its previous state.
- I want each and every one of my fellow north Brooklynites to remember this the next time certain pillars of our community extoll upon the benefits of the tourism economy. Straight up: vandalism of this variety is not perpetrated by folks who live hereabouts. Rather, it is the handwork of those who reside outside the community and as such do not treat it with the same level of care and respect as residents do. Or at least this is the only plausible reason/excuse I can find for this.
- Any/all “news outlets” which see fit to run with this news item: remember to cite www.thatgreenpointblog.com!
Filed under: 11222, Greenpoint, Greenpoint Brooklyn, Greenpoint Magic, Stuff That Makes Miss Heather Happy
Taken March 18, 2014.
These shots of yesterday’s four alarm fire on Greenpoint Avenue comes courtesy of Victoria Belanger. On a related note, you can check out another item from NBC regarding this fire (the FDNY was busy all night fighting it) by clicking here. Prepare to be stunned.
Filed under: 11222, Greenpoint, Greenpoint Brooklyn, Greenpoint Magic, The Word On The Street
Taken March 18, 2014.
I have received a number of inquiries about this. Here’s the skinny: a recycling business located across the street from the Shit Tits is on fire. You can learn more about what happened by clicking here.
A very nice lady named Carly writes:
Hope you are doing well! I work at the ASPCA, and we wanted to extend an invitation for you to join us and Vans shoes for a special event celebrating pet adoption at their House of Vans venue in Brooklyn.
The event will be a lot of fun, featuring food from Yeah Dawg and Calexico, drinks, music, a photo booth and face painting. The ASPCA and Animal Care & Control of NYC will also be on hand with adorable puppies and kittens in need of permanent homes.
Attached is an official invitation with all of the details. The event will take place on Saturday, March 22nd from 1-4pm at the House of Vans, which is on 25 Franklin Street in Greenpoint. We’d love to have you there! We’re trying to get the Brooklyn community to attend – so feel free to post this in advance, thanks!
Gladly and duly posted! Closing on the subject of adoptable cats and dogs, it has been brought to my attention that Dog Habitat (which is closing its doors at the end of the month) still has furkids in need of forever/foster homes. This is truly heartbreaking. Those of you who can open up your hearts and homes, please do so.
Filed under: 11222, Greenpoint, Greenpoint Brooklyn, Greenpoint Magic, Newtown Creek
That’s right folks: tomorrow,
March 17th (also known as St. Paddy’s Day— insert pot of gold quip here) March 24th, the long-anticipated dredging of Newtown Creek begins. If/when you smell or hear noise fellow Greenpointers— and I can assure some of you will— here’s what to do:
Dredging on Whale Creek (off of Newtown Creek near sewage treatment facility) is expected to happen on Monday, 3/17/2014. If you experience odors or noise, please call 311 and make an “odor complaint” and/or “noise complaint”. DEP’s response will depend on the amount of 311 complaints made. Be sure to get a complaint number and forward it to the Newtown Creek Monitoring Committee liaison Christine Holowacz at 718-349-0150 or email@example.com. You can also send me the complaint number at firstname.lastname@example.org…