Filed under: 11222, Greenpoint, Greenpoint Brooklyn, Greenpoint Magic, Urban Artifact
There appears to have been a mishap on Manhattan Avenue.
Glass of (queso) half empty: salsa con queso gone to waste brings a tear to yours truly’s eye.
Glass half full: Old Krupnik is a highly provocative accompaniment to this street feast. The presence of a towel suggests some attempt at a “clean up”. One has to appreciate this kind gestures given they are quite rare nowadays.
Meanwhile on Lorimer Street…
Street meat tartar…
accompanied by pasta.
Filed under: 11222, Asshole, Criminal Activity, Greenpoint, Greenpoint Brooklyn, Greenpoint Magic, Stuff The Makes Heather Sad
March 15, 2014
March 20, 2014
As you can see, gentle readers, something has come to pass in the last few days. Follows are a few thoughts:
- This is one of my favorite landmarks in Greenpoint. In fact one of my all time favorite photos I have ever taken is of this water tower.
- This pisses me off. Big time.
- I suspect a number of the folks reading this list agree with the previous two points.
- Some may find prodigal penises (penii?) hanging from telephone lines offensive. I respect their opinion. However, let’s face facts: a. it does not entail destruction of property b. it is not taking a crap on someone else’s culture.
- I do hope an effort will be made to restore this flag to its previous state.
- I want each and every one of my fellow north Brooklynites to remember this the next time certain pillars of our community extoll upon the benefits of the tourism economy. Straight up: vandalism of this variety is not perpetrated by folks who live hereabouts. Rather, it is the handwork of those who reside outside the community and as such do not treat it with the same level of care and respect as residents do. Or at least this is the only plausible reason/excuse I can find for this.
- Any/all “news outlets” which see fit to run with this news item: remember to cite www.thatgreenpointblog.com!
Filed under: 11222, Greenpoint, Greenpoint Brooklyn, Greenpoint Magic, Stuff That Makes Miss Heather Happy
Taken March 18, 2014.
These shots of yesterday’s four alarm fire on Greenpoint Avenue comes courtesy of Victoria Belanger. On a related note, you can check out another item from NBC regarding this fire (the FDNY was busy all night fighting it) by clicking here. Prepare to be stunned.
Filed under: 11222, Greenpoint, Greenpoint Brooklyn, Greenpoint Magic, The Word On The Street
Taken March 18, 2014.
I have received a number of inquiries about this. Here’s the skinny: a recycling business located across the street from the Shit Tits is on fire. You can learn more about what happened by clicking here.
A very nice lady named Carly writes:
Hope you are doing well! I work at the ASPCA, and we wanted to extend an invitation for you to join us and Vans shoes for a special event celebrating pet adoption at their House of Vans venue in Brooklyn.
The event will be a lot of fun, featuring food from Yeah Dawg and Calexico, drinks, music, a photo booth and face painting. The ASPCA and Animal Care & Control of NYC will also be on hand with adorable puppies and kittens in need of permanent homes.
Attached is an official invitation with all of the details. The event will take place on Saturday, March 22nd from 1-4pm at the House of Vans, which is on 25 Franklin Street in Greenpoint. We’d love to have you there! We’re trying to get the Brooklyn community to attend – so feel free to post this in advance, thanks!
Gladly and duly posted! Closing on the subject of adoptable cats and dogs, it has been brought to my attention that Dog Habitat (which is closing its doors at the end of the month) still has furkids in need of forever/foster homes. This is truly heartbreaking. Those of you who can open up your hearts and homes, please do so.
Filed under: 11222, Greenpoint, Greenpoint Brooklyn, Greenpoint Magic, Newtown Creek
That’s right folks: tomorrow,
March 17th (also known as St. Paddy’s Day— insert pot of gold quip here) March 24th, the long-anticipated dredging of Newtown Creek begins. If/when you smell or hear noise fellow Greenpointers— and I can assure some of you will— here’s what to do:
Dredging on Whale Creek (off of Newtown Creek near sewage treatment facility) is expected to happen on Monday, 3/17/2014. If you experience odors or noise, please call 311 and make an “odor complaint” and/or “noise complaint”. DEP’s response will depend on the amount of 311 complaints made. Be sure to get a complaint number and forward it to the Newtown Creek Monitoring Committee liaison Christine Holowacz at 718-349-0150 or email@example.com. You can also send me the complaint number at firstname.lastname@example.org…
Filed under: 11222, 11249, Greenpoint, Greenpoint Brooklyn, Greenpoint Magic, Plagiarism, Urban Artifact, Williamsburg, Williamsburg Brooklyn
This (lest any of you are wondering what “this” is, they are pig’s feet) was (once again) brought to my attention by the author of this mischief (which came to pass July 2013*). Naturally (and in the interest of due diligence) I asked this person to tender his/her thoughts. They are as follows:
Just that the rest of him was delicious we were at a pig roast at (excised) and for some reason I felt the need to take them – just spiraled from there!
So there have you. Speaking as a vegetarian I do not necessarily endorse this act— I am simply passing along the “facts”.
I do not think any explanation as to the nature of these objects is necessary. Nonetheless, these photos (which were taken today) bear testement that the north Brooklyn dildo feral epidemic is much more pervasive than I initially thought. The humanity— (or at least a vital component of it)! Note that I have seen fit not to disclose the locations of these hilarious items. I can assure you, gentle readers, I have a very good reason for this. It is as follows:
- On February 23rd of this year I blogged a rather curious renovation in Long Island City. I christened it the “Lego House”. This garnered attention from both Brownstoner Queens and Curbed. Both of the previous saw fit to follow what is considered to be proper “Netiquette”: cite yours truly. Sadly, the same cannot be said for Fox News (no surprise there) or the New York Daily News— both of which saw fit to “amplify” the news about this most curious domicile on March 5th. The latter simply referred to me as a “sympathetic blogger”. I am guessing the rationale for not citing my blog was that their readership would find its url objectionable. Having had my fair share of hearing this as a justification for plagiarism over the years, I have a mirror site with a much less “offensive” url: www.thatgreenpointblog.com. But I digress. Let’s continue!
- On January 11th of this year I visited a buddy of mine who happens to be employed at a business located at the corner of North 6 Street and Bedford Avenue. She asked me if had had seen something rather curious gracing the (I presume) telephone wire thereabouts. This:
- Given this is not the kind of thing one sees every day (at least in North Brooklyn— in the East Village it is fairly commonplace) I took ample photos and blogged Spiderman and his “companion” immediately upon arriving home. Therein I wrote:
…Per the person who brought this to my attention, this hilarious item not only survived the recent blizzard, but has graced this intersection for at least three months.
Once again: this post came to pass on January 11th and therein it was established that this has been around for at least three months.** Do the math. Following me so far? Good. Let’s continue some more!
- Now let’s jump forward to March 6th. Better known to yours truly as the day after one of— if not the most appalling— “community meetings” I have had the misfortune of blogging. Did the New York Daily News deem a number of (purported) community groups in north Brooklyn effectively voting to disenfranchise themselves in an election that was (and I am being very diplomatic when I write this) highly “irregular”— and predicated (if not spoken, understood) upon what is happening regarding the Greenpoint Boathouse— well, “news”? No they did not. Rather, they saw fit to publish this:
Note the highlighted passage. I can only wonder exactly how they came to guesstimate this date. Here perhaps? Here’s the deal:
- If you want to use my web site as a news source there is no excuse for not citing it. Methinks I have already established why.
- If a “news outlet” can see fit to publish a news item with a pixelated penis, I fail to see how the word “shitty” is even an issue. Really.
- I have grown to accept that being credited for my work is an exercise in futility. However, I can make “cherry picking” news items from my blog a mite bit more challenging! Hence:
I am not disclosing where today’s “urban artifacts” are located. I do not receive compensation for what I post on New York Shitty. The “reporters” at the New York Daily News, Fox, et. al. do. Go get ‘em boys (and girls)! There’s “news” to create!
*Just in case our local news outlets elect to make hay of this in lieu of, say, actual events that impact peoples’ lives on a real, lasting and fundamental level.
**NOTE: I did a follow-up post on Valentine’s Day as well. It struck me as being appropriate.