Time To Winterize Those Paws!
Although I am certain many of you have read about this on Curbed already I’m posting it here as well. Christine writes:
Hi Dog Owners,
Tonight, my dog, VALENCIA, (was) electrocuted!Â Â Â She is fine!Â Â I repeat
SHE IS DOING JUST FINE.
I wanted to share what happened so we all are careful walking under any
scaffolding…. In fact I would just avoid them…
VALENCIA, a brussels griffon, let out a loud yelp and then her
little body just shook for a few minutes.Â Â I had no idea what happened the first time.Â Â It was pretty scary but once we got home she seemed fine.
When it happened a second time this evening at the same place (201 Bedford Avenue in Williamsburg next to UVA), I knew something was up. I assume it was some type of shock but didn’t really know.
I called 311 to report dangerous scaffolding.Â They then connected me with 911 who then put me in touch with the FDNY. I thought this might have been a little too dramatic especially when they told me to wait for FDNY at the site and two ladder trucks pulled up.
As always, the Firefighters arrived being all cool and calm.Â Â They took out this little devise that said that all the poles in scaffolding were LIVE.Â Â It was a good thing I called.
This site is now safe and hopefully it is the freaky type of thing that only happens once (or at one site)…but if your dog yelps and then shakes for more than a few seconds, report it by calling 311.
Please feel free to forward this email to other dog owners.
Let’s faces facts: it’s damned cold out and derelict development sites are (in all probability) going to become the norm here. Take a tip from one very savvy dog owner in Greenpoint I met recently: sheath your pooch’s feet with balloons. This may sound crazy but it can and does WORK. Rubber not only protects his (or her) furry feet from Halite (which dries out skin) and ice but it also resists electricity. A cheap and easy solution to developer blight!