TOMORROW: McCarren Park Meeting
Those of you who are interested in what’s happening with McCarren Park listen up. There is going to be a meeting tomorrow you should not miss. Dewey Thompson (of GWAPP) writes:
Hey McCarren Park user! You use the park. You want it to be better. Youâ€™re not alone… The best way to get the parks we deserve is through persistent community attention to each park. GWAPP (Greenpoint Waterfront Association for Parks & Planning) wants to help kickstart a big (and sustained) Push for Parks all across our North Brooklyn neighborhoods by helping to create (where one doesnâ€™t exist) support (where one does exist) and unite (where, as with McCarren Park, several active groups co-exist) park-specific Friends Groups.The purpose of these groups will be to gather information about the way the community uses the park, the issues and needs of each park and, most importantly, establish a community representative (or two or six or twenty) of that park, acting as a watchdog and persistently (key word) pushing for improvements â€“ whether from the city, the Open Space Alliance (www.openspacealliancenb.org), neighbors, local businesses, grantsâ€¦
I am volunteering to help set up an initial meeting of what, for now, might be called the United Friends of McCarren Park. We have an opportunity, with this particular Mayor and the promises made regarding the McCarren Park Pool, Ice Skating Rink and Skate Park, to push for real improvements in McCarren Park. We need to make sure we have a unified and coherent voice in the way the park is maintained and plans made for future developments. With the Pool reconstruction underway (design-wise at least) it seems the various user-groups of this potentially wonderful park have a shared purpose. Letâ€™s use it to make the park better.
Hereâ€™s a proposed (and very preliminary) agenda:
- Request a comprehensive survey & study of Park usage & potential
- McCarren Park Pool â€“ reconstruction status update
- Pool-adjacent â€œComfort Stationsâ€ â€“ can these be built first?
- Fieldhouse â€œComfort Stationsâ€ â€“ the most disgusting bathrooms in Brooklyn? (No, they aren’t — Miss H)
- Wading/Spray Pool â€“ what can be done to have this running by summer?
- Benches & Paths
- Natural turf conditions
- Gardens & Trees
- Dog Run(s)
- Plan to artificially turf paved field next to tennis courts
- Plan to study de-mapping Driggs and/or Union Ave. through the park (which will entail disrupting the route of the B61 Bus— Miss H)
- Concerts, Films & other programming
- Other issues & needs?
What: United Friends of McCarren Park
Where: Automotive High School Library
50 Bedford Avenue
Brooklyn, 11222 New York
When: Monday March 3 2008, 7:00 p.m.
Be there or be squat —over some horribly maintained crapper drenched in piss and bereft of toilet paper*.
*I am referencing McGolrick Park ‘s “comfort stations” which no one seems to care about.