Culture on the Cheap
Live From The Community Board 1: Banter About The “Bubble”
Filed under: 11211, 11222, Greenpoint, Greenpoint Brooklyn, Greenpoint Magic, Williamsburg, Williamsburg Brooklyn
As promised, here is footage of last night’s presentation regarding the proposed “bubble” for McCarren Park’s tennis courts. Before I proceed to the footage I’d like to list a few things I found of interest:
- McCarren Park’s situation is unique as usually larger tennis facilities are considered for “bubbles”.
- The court fees levied for use would be between $40 – $50 per hour. However, when asked about fees for the tennis courts at Prospect Park, Evan George, (as you will see in the following footage) said he didn’t know what they were. This was not very reassuring.
- Allowances would be made so those who cannot afford these fees can have access to the courts a few hours a week.
- After 15 years (the duration of the contract with whatever private entity will operate this “bubble”), the city would be left with ownership of the “rim”, not the bubble.
- The previous was raised several times and suggestions were made that language be worked into the contract leaving the city ownership of said “bubble”.
Without further ado, here is the footage. Enjoy!