Culture on the Cheap
One of the highlights from last night’s town hall meeting was Rich Mazur’s rather enthusiastic presentation of the park slated for the western tip of Greenpoint Avenue. Follows is the tentative design.
Here are a few fun facts about this space:
- The site of this park is where WNYC once had their transmitter (hence the moniker “Transmitter Park”).
- It has a budget of ten million dollars.
- It will be 1.8 acres in size.
- The final design will be presented June of this year.
- Its completion date is set for winter 2009-2010, making it very likely that this will be the next park to be built in north Greenpoint!
Anyone who wishes to learn more about Transmitter Park (or aid in its creation by becoming a volunteer) can contact Rich Mazur via GWAPP at:
info (at) gwapp (dot) org
Of all the plans presented last night this one was by and far my favorite. Not only is the location fantastic, but I suspect I speak for many when I say quality park space in north Greenpoint is long, LONG overdue.
Image Credit: Greenpointer (a web site which unfortunately appears to have been abandoned)