Culture on the Cheap
Another day in Happy Valley…
Thus far today I:
- have been awakened by the moron next door slathering more asphalt on his ghetto-ass roof.
- witnessed a number of fire trucks and police vehicles descending upon the mega-demolition site on my block.
- had to climb over a massive pile of shit our resident hipsters have seen fit to store in the stairwell so I could gain access to the roof and photograph said fire trucks and police vehicles.
- learned from my Section 8 neighbors that our landlord threatened to turn off the heat and hot water FOR THE ENTIRE BUILDING at their latest court-ordered arbitration hearing. The only response I could muster to this bombshell was “That’s really fucking stupid”. (Because it is.)
- have been preparing to slog through a fucking snow storm tomorrow because I have been selected for jury duty.
Suffice it to say that my current mood is less than stellar. But strangely enough, none of the above-listed bullshit is to blame. Nosirree. This, dear readers, was (and still is) the crowning turd of my day.
Off the top of my head, I can think of at least six coffeehouses (seven if you include Duncan Donuts) in this ‘hood. This is a less-than-original concept. I’d love to meet the rocket scientist who, in his infinite wisdom, decided that yet another coffee shop (and an overpriced one at that) is exactly what Greenpoint needs. Why doesn’t he toss in a couple of banks and another fucking Thai restaurant while he’s at it?