Spotted On Bedford Avenue: The Charleston Gets DOH’ed
Today yours truly noticed something amiss while strolling down Bedford Avenue. Namely, the absence of of the Charleston’s rather capacious sidewalk seating. Intrigued, I went in for a closer look.
Curiosity piqued, I checked out the Department of Health’s web site upon arriving home. I found no mention of fruit flies whatsoever. No worries, gentle readers, our intrepid civil servants found plenty of other (rather disturbing) items for your delectation last month*. I have taken the liberty of bold-facing my personal favorite.
1) Raw, cooked or prepared food is adulterated, contaminated, cross-contaminated, or not discarded in accordance with HACCP plan.
2) Evidence of mice or live mice present in facility’s food and/or non-food areas.
3) Personal cleanliness inadequate. Outer garment soiled with possible contaminant. Effective hair restraint not worn in an area where food is prepared.
4) Food contact surface not properly washed, rinsed and sanitized after each use and following any activity when contamination may have occurred.
5) Facility not vermin proof. Harborage or conditions conducive to attracting vermin to the premises and/or allowing vermin to exist.
6) Covered garbage receptacle not provided or inadequate, except that garbage receptacle may be uncovered during active use. Garbage storage area not properly constructed or maintained; grinder or compactor dirty.
7) Pesticide use not in accordance with label or applicable laws. Prohibited chemical used/stored. Open bait station used.
8) Plumbing not properly installed or maintained; anti-siphonage or backflow prevention device not provided where required; equipment or floor not properly drained; sewage disposal system in disrepair or not functioning properly.
UPDATE, July 7, 2011: Here’s the latest per the Department of Health
UPDATE, 5:00 p.m.: I have word that the Charleston is back open and fruit fly free! (See comments)
*Special thanks goes out to the manager of this establishment for this clarification! (see comments)