239 Banker Street: $15,000 in Stop Work Order Fines & Counting!
I know what some of you are asking:
Why do you have such a big problem with 239 Banker Street?
Well, among other things:
1. Using the pretext of “Loft Law” protection (which was ostensibly put in place to preserve “our” artistic community) for “lofts” sporting stainless steel appliances and $2,700+ rent is laughable— and hypocritical.
2. Claiming that this measure protects “families” from being displaced, and the “Community Organizer” seemingly responsible for this loft law application seems to be under this impression, is wretchedly comical. From what I have been told, families are actually being steered away from this property (which is in and of itself illegal). What’s more, windows upon windows of identical “loft beds” do not exactly inspire confidence that this is a family friendly place.
Rather, it screams “college dormitory”.
3. Let us consider this complaint, shall we?
Had these fellows simply perused Craigslist they would know there’s plenty going on. No inspection required!
Methinks the better questions are:
- Why was the above-listed advertisement for the former “Sweater Factory Lofts” listed as 245 Banker Street as opposed to 239 Banker Street?
- Why so many others have had a problem with 239 Banker Street?
(Those of you have patience and wherewithal can view the rest of this litany of complaints by clicking here.)
- And why our City Councilman, who did not even reside in Greenpoint (or the 33rd City Council District for that matter) when this shit show started, saw fit to email me about it?
In closing, and for everyone’s edification, I have complied a photo set highlighting the immaculate construction of 239 Banker Street. Without further ado, here it is. Enjoy!