Culture on the Cheap
Williamsburg Photos Du Jour: Blue Chip Bloomblight
Filed under: 11211, Bloomblight, Street Art, Street Justice, Williamsburg, Williamsburg Brooklyn, Wow, WTF
This vision (which hails from Hooper Street and Borinquen Place— its address per the Department of Buildings is 395 Hooper Street lest anyone is curious) is without argument one of the finest examples of Bloomblight yours truly has ever encountered. Not surprisingly it has a standing Stop Work Order. I would hazard to say that the owner of this property has, in fact, obeyed it. Perhaps a little too well. In any case, it bears all the characteristics I have come to expect from a derelict construction site (and I can assure you, gentle readers, yours truly has grown to be quite picky— this is because I have a vast selection from which to choose). To name a few:
- A collapsed construction fence
- Ample amounts of detritus
- Signs of habitation (I confess I am quite envious of the office chairs— but not so much so as to venture in and take one)
- Graffiti (Amusingly enough, the piece by $howta is arguably its only redeeming quality.) And my personal favorite…
- an inspired, if futile, use of “Caution” tape.
Truly magnificent, I must say. I suppose it will come as a surprise to no one that recently a complaint was filed regarding this property.
It’ll be interesting to see if/when any action will be taken. Hopefully this blog post will help serve to push things forward. Otherwise (and one a somewhat related note) I have at long last posted some updates regarding my snow globe project. These you can see here. Methinks this bad boy just made it to the list…